Published on March 21st, 2013 | by Ernie Estrella3
10 New Veronica Mars Movie Clues and Facts
Getting news on the Veronica Mars movie project is all about being on the internet at the right time but we’ve got some fun new details on the evolving film.
In case you needed an update, the Veronica Mars Movie Kickstarter campaign is a little over a week old and has raised over $3,750,000, thanks to over 57,000 backers. The question now is not if the film will raise double of its initial budget of $2 million, but how much more can it raise? $5 million? The pace has slowed down but who knows what Rob Thomas, Kristen Bell and the rest of the crew have in store. It’s seriously become the most addictive telethon ever.
The response has been overwhelming for everyone involved with VM and numbers are being crunched because creator Rob Thomas has already started talking about whether or not this movie will be the last we’re going to see of Veronica. If the support carries over into the box office and interest keeps building, then a sequel or new life as a television series are all projects with real potential. But let’s not get ahead of ourselves, let’s talk about the movie that is currently becoming a reality.
Thomas held a live chat this afternoon on his Twitter account: @RobThomas responding to fan questions and leaked out some details about the film.
1. The movie is outlined, and the first 40 pages are written. Thomas knows the direction he wants to take and will also serve as the film’s director.
2. There will be new faces and roles, but Thomas is planning “many, many returning characters.”
3. Thomas knows what Logan has been up to since the end of the show but he wants to keep it a surprise.
4. Neptune High School’s 10 Year Reunion is the middle of the movie set piece.
5. Veronica will have a boyfriend at the start of the film, but Thomas revealed, “what happens in the movie will be rough on her love life.”
6. Bell’s real life fiancée Dax Shepard will have a cameo and Thomas guarantees it will be funny.
7. There are a few cities that will be used for locations, as outlined in the Kickstarter but there are currently no plans to shoot abroad. Thomas is also working to get international fans’ problems resolved using Kickstarter, which currently allows just US and Canadian residents to pledge financial backing to the project. Everyone who donated for a signed poster and above, will get to sit and eat with the 09-ers.
8. With the potential for life after the film, Thomas said there are no plans for high school flashbacks or references to the mythology of the show. Thomas wants the film to welcome new viewers.
9. There will be planned use of The Dandy Warhols’ song, “We Used to Be Friends” and there’s a chance of getting lead singer-songwriter Courtney Taylor-Taylor in the movie. Thomas also wants Tegan & Sara on the soundtrack.
10. No actor deals have been done yet so it was difficult for Thomas to confirm casting choices, especially if said actors are tied up on other projects. Here is a run down of the actors/characters that were asked about and Thomas’ responses.
• Vinnie Van Lowe (Ken Marino) – “I’m planning on Vinnie running amok.”
• Wallace Fennel (Percy Daggs III) – “Veronica and Wallace are still very close.”
• Gia Goodman (Krysten Ritter) & Madison Sinclair (Amanda Noret) – “I want Krysten in the film more than just a cameo. The hope is for Madison and Gia to be at the reunion.”
• Weevil Navarro (Francis Capra) is also planned to attend the reunion.
• The odds of seeing Meg Manning’s child Faith AKA Lilly are zero, but odds on Duncan are unknown.
• Cliff McCormack (Daran Norris) and Carrie Bishop (Leighton Meester) are also part of the plan; whether or not they will accept or are available is another story.
• Despite appearing a handful of times in the series, chances of seeing Lilly (Amanda Seyfried) are “slim.”
• Adam Scott’s disgraced Mr. Rooks is going to be a tough sell as to why he’d appear at a 10 year reunion.
Any initial thoughts on a 10-year reunion to bring everyone back together? Any thoughts on who might be Veronica’s main squeeze to start the story? And what are your thoughts on a series after the film on Netflix or some other outlet or perhaps another film? Share those thoughts below.