Published on September 11th, 2012 | by Bags Hooper1
10 Focus Points on the ‘Scandal’ Season 2 Premiere
The freshman season of Shonda Rhimes’ Scandal may have been brief, but it was easily one of the best mid-season starts of 2012. Heartbreak, conspiracy, love triangles, murder and backstabbing were all tied together in one deviously scintillating package.
Now that Season 2 is here, along with a digital screener, I’ve had the pleasure of “sitting on edge” once again. Rhimes has deftly whipped up a new start to this intriguing – outside-the-letter-of-the-law – crisis drama on Capitol Hill.
Without giving away any major spoilers, here are 10 Focus Points to watch out for in the premiere:
– Mellie Grant (Bellamy Young) is now a series regular. If you were weary of the First Lady’s motivations in season one, get ready to be dumbfounded in season two. Mrs. Grant harkens back to the days of Sherry Palmer on 24 – minus the nuclear threat.
– Remember that stunning freeze frame with Quinn (Katie Lowes). She is most definitely not who she claimed to be. The truth will have startling implications that will ripple throughout the course of the season.
– We lost our favorite Lost actor. Henry Ian Cusick, who played Stephen Finch, is no longer with Olivia Pope’s (Kerry Washington) team. He served as Olivia’s confidant when it came to relationship issues – because Olivia had a lot of those when it came to the President. Without Finch, Olivia is even more a woman alone, with her own council and rulebook.
– One of our cast members will get a delightful (or maybe not so delightful) new nickname. No spoilers. You will hear it in the first ten minutes.
– Viewers will need to continue to hold their hands on that DVR rewind button. The fast-paced dialogue doesn’t skip a beat. You will need to pay even closer attention this season to pick up on all the subtle jokes as well as those quick turns in an Olivia dialogue battle. Harrison (Columbus Short) and Huck (Guillermo Diaz) have a great exchange.
– Sex and political scandal is still in fashion in Scandal Season 2. And, that’s got Abby (Darby Stanchfield) excited.
– We can look forward to a shift in the relationship between Olivia and David (Joshua Malina). David is putting on his man pants in this season to stand up to Olivia. Our favorite crisis manager may have built up a wall, but expect David to target that wall with a solid offense.
– President Grant (Tony Goldwyn) continues to show off his true colors. Seriously, what does Olivia see in him? The President will get a chance to expose his chauvinist side in the season 2 premiere. Truthfully, he just comes off as a jerk.
– Olivia’s got a dirty new secret. If you thought the presidential affair was a scandal (and that fact that the president’s wife knew about it the whole time), then get ready for something major. Rhimes has laid the seeds for a potential new character as well as the fallout once that character comes to light.
– Last season, we learned the truth about Huck’s dark side. We’re going to get even deeper into the origin story of Huck and Olivia as well as the other members of Olivia’s team. Expect trust issues to arise at the home base.
Don’t expect any of the cover-ups to stop. The only thing that solves a good cover-up is another cover up. And, right now, it looks like we’ll be sifting through piles of proverbial “political shit” when Scandal returns.
Scandal Season 2 premieres Thursday, September 27 at 10PM E/P.