FX gave San Diego Comic-Con one mean trick and a whole lotta treats at their ARCHER panel, but everyone left with their cheeks sore from laughing. A warning to the light-hearted readers, this write-up contains a large amount of vulgarity.
The one trick was an exclusive clip of Archer (H. Jon Benjamin) about to hanglide off the edge of a massive canyon, speaking to the Comic-Con crowd and insulting them for the vast amount of virgins in the house. The clip also showed Archer willing to speak freely about Season 4 spoilers and all that’s happened since the Season 3 finale that occurred in space. But because Archer was high atop a windy canyon, with his spirit animal (a bald eagle) the gusts of wind were so strong that none of the juicy details could be heard.
“Goddammit, this shit is hurting my face… Fuck, it feels like someone’s throwing razor blades at my face.”
Yes, creator Adam Reed and H. Jon Benjamin are devils, but even when they’re teasing the crowd, they did it in a hilarious way.
Next up for the crowd was the premiere of the Season 4 episode, “Coyote Lovely” where Archer, Cyril, and Lana go to Mexico and try to capture one of the biggest coyotes (the kind who assist illegal aliens across the border, not the animals, although that’s not above what could be seen on Archer). Everything goes well until the coyote is revealed to be a beautiful Mexican woman who Archer can’t help but assist, assaulting Lana and Cyril in hopes of getting some sexual gratitude. I refuse to tell you any more, except that Archer shoots Cyril and Pam has an incredible moment–just expect to laugh continuously because that’s exactly what happened at the Hilton Hotel’s Indigo Ballroom.
TV Guide’s Damien Holbrook moderated the panel which included Benjamin (voice of Archer), Reed (voice of Ray), Amber Nash (voice of Pam), Aisha Tyler (voice of Lana) and Chris Parnell (voice of Cyril). Highlights included:
- Season Four begins January 2013 and will be 13 episodes long.
- Malory will marry a man named Ron Cadillac, a simple civilian who becomes Malory’s voice of reason. Why she is settling down is not yet known but will eventually be revealed. Cadillac will be played by Jessica Walter’s real life husband, Ron Leibman. As a result, Archer will have to deal with having a new father figure in his life and it doesn’t sound like he’s a fan of Ron.
- The cast is asked how the energy is kept up even though they all record their voice parts separately as opposed to being in the same room. Benjamin said in character, “Cocaine.”
- Favorite lines by each of the cast members are not surprisingly, all lines by Pam:
-Nash: “It’s like chupacabra, but for dicks.”
-Tyler: “You’re so hot for him, I could reheat this chili in your cooch,” and in Season One when Cyril was having sex with Cheryl Carol, Crys-tal in the bathroom and Pam’s in the stall next door and says, “You guys are reaaally make it hard to drop a deuce,” But I do like, “De-escalate your dick,” from this episode we showed you… Practical.
-Benjamin: “You could drown a toddler in my panties.”
- Then came the moment of the panel or even the entire convention, Holbrook asked, “How do you guys prepare your voices for the recording sessions?”
Benjamin had something on the tip of his tongue, looked at his cast members and Tyler began laughing hysterically before he said bluntly, “Eat a bowl of cum.”
Holbrook stunned by his answer replied, “Thank you, Comic-Con is over, he just won it. You will not be hearing that at the Vampire Diaries panel.”
Tyler continued, reading out loud the back of her name plate, “A warning to all talent, please be aware that many members of your audience may be under 18 years of age, or don’t want to know what you do on Saturdays.”
Benjamin fired back with this retort. “Don’t be silly, I’m Jewish, I don’t drink cum on Saturdays… [pausing for the uproar in laughter] just Sunday through Friday.”
Meanwhile, Reed was gasping for air, and Tyler added one last remark while guffawing, “Oh my god, you’re so full of regret!”
- Nash was honored that Pam may be considered the grossest character on television.”She’s disgusting, but lovable.” Nash also added that the model for Pam is a woman in her neighborhood who runs a furniture store but adds is much more attractive. The tone of Pam’s voice comes from her mother saying mean things to her.
- When asked if Lana might still carry some affection towards Archer, Tyler said that Lana developed a type of affection for Archer that is like developing a love for a goiter that needs to be cut out. “But then you look at it (the wound) and say, “Man, something used to be there.”
- Andrew Donnelly is playing a new character in Season 4 who will be in charge of the armory at ISIS.
- Reed said that he doesn’t know why Pam isn’t an ISIS agent yet. “She should run the whole place. She’s the most together person on that show, and I realize that’s a pretty low bar.”
- Reed was asked if he was planning on Kenny Loggins guest starring on Archer to sing “Danger Zone” on play a part, since Loggins is a big influence on Archer. Reed said, “I’m going to say yes just so that you don’t think that you thought it up and I stole it from you. So yes, that was in the works way before now.”
- A fan explained that she converted her 24-year old daughter into a fan, who in turn created a drinking game that included a play where you drink two shots when Pam says, “Nutsack.” Benjamin said that Reed needs to write an episode where Pam says nothing but “Nutsack” and that the woman’s daughter dies from drinking. “That maam is your drinking game.”
- Bionic Barry is not dead and is at hard at work on a spaceship with the scientists.
- No future plans for Reed’s Frisky Dingo. Adult Swim owns it and didn’t like the show and the ratings showed that very few did too.
- A final question was addressed to the cast on which real life actor would best play their character in a live-action version of Archer.
-Nash: John Goodman… I hope, I hope, I hope.
-Parnel felt he was too short to play Cyril so he said: Alexander Skarsgard
-Tyler: I’d pitch Nell Carter but she’s… busy. So I would literally fight anybody in the octagon who fucking tried to take this role away from me. I will bring a blade, I will cut a bitch.
-Benjamin: Who would be in the octagon with you?
-Tyler: Rupaul. He’s more woman than I am. (another reason to love Aisha Tyler?)
-Benjamin: Oh it’s me now? Oh fuck… for a serious answer, I’d say Jon Hamm.
-Reed: Who would play me drinking? I guess that guy who created Alf. But a serious answer… I’d have to say Raymond Burr.
Needless to say, the Archer panel did NOT disappoint.
Watch the laugh-out-loud red carpet interview with H. Jon Benjamin: