Before The Avengers set the box office on fire earlier this month, it was all about The Hunger Games, which has made an impressive run at almost $400 million in North American sales ($650 million globally). The key to that success was the young fans of Suzanne Collins’ novel of the same name and ever-increasing star of one Jennifer Lawrence.
Come August, those young fans will have a chance to experience Panem and Katniss Everdeen’s coming-of-age tale right in the comfort of their homes with The Hunger Games on Blu-ray and DVD. Taking a cue from The Twilight Saga, The Hunger Games home video packages will get a special midnight release on August 18.
For those that go beyond just the viewing of the movie itself, here’s a look at cover art, a trailer and bonus features on both the DVD and Blu-ray releases:
• “The World is Watching: Making of The Hunger Games” – an eight-part documentary covering
the “making of” the film in all aspects from the pre-production process all the way through the
theatrical release and fan reactions
• “Game Maker: Suzanne Collins and The Hunger Games Phenomenon” featurette
“Letters from the Rose Garden” featurette – insights from Donald Sutherland on the development of his role as President Snow
• “Controlling the Games” featurette – stories and concepts behind creating the control center
• “A Conversation with Gary Ross and Elvis Mitchell”
• Propaganda Film (in its entirety)
• Marketing Archive
• “Preparing for The Games: A Director’s Process”