Only 10 all-star designers are left in this season of Project Runway and the producers are working their butts off to figure out ways to weed them out. This weeks challenge was to create a tasteful outfit inspired by gelato, the Italian ice cream. The designers had to pick a flavor by name only without seeing the actual ice cream. Once the designers chose they received a scoop and a swatch.
The Diane Von Furstenberg was the guest this week and she dropped the bomb that the designer had to create the look in only 6 hours! The designers were still drooling over Diane when the news sunk in that this was the fastest challenge in Project Runway history. They had to design, shop, draft, cut, sew, alter and finish a garment in a mere 6 hours. I’m not positive I could whip up a pillowcase in 6 hours. These all stars had their work cut out for them and there was no room for mistakes.
The designers were giddy with stress in the workroom. The pressure forced even the most couture designers
to reach for the *gasp* glue gun. A majority of the designers went with simple looks. Jerell scoffed at Michael saying his dress was way too easy. Hello Jerell, there are only 6 hours this isn’t the time to make a corset. At least Michael’s simple dress looked stunning. Jerell can take his muumuu apron concoction and get out of here. I’m sick of his remarks when he’s been playing it safe the whole time. Step up and shut up Jerell.
Mentor Joanna Coles popped in briefly to work with the designers. Though it’s not like they had enough time to implement any of her critiques. Did anyone notice Joanna asked Mondo about his accessorizing? It seemed more like she was checking his editorial skills rather than coaching him. Maybe she’s secretly testing him to see how he would fare if he won the prize of guest editor of Marie Claire. Did the producers just give us a hint or are they just trying to keep us off the trail?
When it was time to hit the runway the designers were greeted by yet another high power fashion player: Supermodel Miranda Kerr. She added to the mix of Georgina, Isaac, Angela and Diane. It’s interesting they chose to put Diane and Miranda on the same episode. Seems like the producers are trying to punch up the dull judges row, or maybe they just needed twice the stars to follow Miss Piggy.
– Mila – Inspirational flavor: Milk with Sour Cherry: Her sheer red and white dress conveyed her inspiration. Bravo for finally using color. The multiple seams looked sloppy but at least it didn’t look like she just threw some fabric over a mannequin.
– Michael – Inspirational flavor: Grapefruit: Michael’s nude caftan looked effortless and glamorous. Diane told him to call her after the show, he almost passed out from shock. It was a great moment for him.
– Mondo – Inspirational flavor: Cantaloupe: His modern caftan screamed cantaloupe with the bright orange and green combo but surprisingly it worked. The conservative front looked like a little too demure but the open back helped make it sexier. The judges loved it.
– Kara – Inspirational flavor: Chocolate Cayenne: Her ruffled mini dress made that poor model look preggers. She tried to explain that the layers of colored ruffles were like the layers of flavor. It’s a nice idea but when the dress doesn’t turn out well none of that matters.
– Anthony – Inspirational flavor: Green Tea: He paired the structured green top with the flowing cream skirt to make it feel like ice cream melting. There was just something off with the look; maybe the top was a bit over worked. It was a miss
– April – Inspirational flavor: Blueberry: April whipped up a structured look that was too ambitions.Unfortunately the top wasn’t done well and the skirt was too short. She also didn’t embrace the color. She paired a bright purple with a dark sheer overlay that took away from the vibrancy of the blueberry. The whole dress looked sad.
Michael won for the second week in a row. He was the dark horse in his season and now he’s the true all star who pulled out a win in front of his idol Diane Von Furstenberg. Rock-on Michael. As for the loser I thought it was definitely going to be Kara but the judges pegged April to go home instead. Fans will miss her goth- edge. It was an emotional good-bye too bad Tim isn’t there this season to dry her tears.