New Pics of ‘Man of Steel’ Costume Show Similarities to ’52′ Redesign

by Ernie Estrella on September 1, 2011 · 70 comments

in Man of Steel, Superman, The 411

Some new images have surfaces from the set of the Warner Bros. production of Superman: Man of Steel revealing a closer look at Henry Cavill in the Superman’s costume. In these images there are many more details seen in the costume. As we noticed previously, the suit is skin-tight and has a patterned grid appearance. Superman’s famous hair curl in the front may be reserved for Clark Kent (how clever).

On closer look though we can see more elements to it that would appear to be native to Kryptonian design or the planet Mongo (How many Flash Gordon fans are out there?). Has anyone else noticed how similar this looks to the new re-design in the new 52 DC Universe relaunch? I wonder which one inspired the other first?

henry cavill superman fullsuperman comic 52

Design embellishments on the wrists, sides and waist show that maybe the costume was created in Krypton and packaged in the rocket ship to Earth as opposed to being something that Ma Kent came up with on her own at the local Jo Ann Fabrics in Smallville. If Superman can withstand a missile or a bomb, his suit is going to be blown apart too unless it’s made from other worldly material. The chest plate looks less pronounced when it’s dirtied up, never noticed how pale the yellow is until now but it is definitely raised up above the rest of the skin-suit.

henry cavill superman action

Again, the red underwear traditionally worn over the tights is gone–thankfully. I understand that Kal-El is an alien but he’s not Jim Carrey in Earth Girls Are Easy. Seriously, the underwear over the pants was a bad design element from the very beginning. The cape seems to be more a part of the costume, almost sewn in; another image sans cape shows an action sequence with a motion capture actor. I wonder if the cape will be digitally added in later.

This last shot of Superman’s *ahem* backside shows for the first time a zipper in Superman’s costume–hey realism! The embellishments on the lower side/kidney area are seen in full and breaks up the straight old fashioned body suit look. These design elements seem to form a subtle belt, as opposed to a giant yellow or gold belt which Superman has never used other than to hold up his pants. However in the 52 redesign, the comics have outfitted him with a bigger, but more subtle red belt that echoes the shape of the chest emblem. It’s different but works. I think overall this suit will photograph well and might even function well, though it does take a little getting used to.

henry cavill superman back

Superman: Man of Steel is a Warner Bros. film that will star Cavill, Amy Adams, Laurence Fishburne, Kevin Costner, Diane Lane, Russell Crowe, Michael Shannon, Antje Traue and is directed by Zack Snyder. Picture source: ComicbookMovie

What do you think about it?

{ 70 comments }

Rachelhunsaker September 1, 2011 at 10:40 pm

The new costume is very disappointing and looks like it’s trying too hard to be cool. Give us back the red underwear, belt and boots. Leave those cheesy gauntlets for comic-con.

Ernie Estrella September 2, 2011 at 12:14 am

I’d argue that the red underwear was cheesy but to each their own.

Seriously, I’d challenge anyone who reads this to wear your underwear outside your pants and try to be taken seriously.

Serviceable Villain September 2, 2011 at 12:47 am

I’s argue that Rachelhunsaker is exactly right, and that in 10 years this costume will look as Dated as the Schumacher Batman outfits.

I’d like to further anyone who reads this to wear colorful tights and a cape outside and try to be taken seriously.

Ernie Estrella September 2, 2011 at 2:35 am

Perhaps. But it’s called UNDERwear for a reason. Just saying.

Serviceable Villain September 2, 2011 at 2:38 am

Yet, they call them trunks, and not underwear in the comics, so…you know.

Serviceable Villain September 2, 2011 at 12:47 am

Ernie Estrella September 2, 2011 at 12:14 am

I’d argue that the red underwear was cheesy but to each their own.

Ernie Estrella September 2, 2011 at 12:14 am

I’d argue that the red underwear was cheesy but to each their own.

DPm19 September 2, 2011 at 4:08 am

So “bring back the red underwear” and “leave the cheesy… for comic con…” Are you serious?

Justin Hill September 1, 2011 at 11:00 pm

if you look close enough, you can see the Under Armour logo.

I don’t think it’s bad, although, if they’re ditching the red underwear, the gold areas on the mid section should have been at least some sort of crimson.

Timvmax1985 September 1, 2011 at 11:32 pm

Hopefully the design team brings the cape in with some red or the suit will not look right.

rosedwell September 2, 2011 at 12:57 am

I don’t mind the suit. I wish the yellow in the logo was a bit brighter. Also, my biggest disappointment is what they did with his hair. Let’s give him a brand new suit! and hair out of the 50s??? It just looks stupid.

VisElEchNon September 2, 2011 at 3:47 am

I REALLY hoping the hair is just horrible pictures and it’ll look better in action. I’m doubting it though. I mean, that many bad pictures? I’m gonna watch this movie, but I’m afraid to. :(

rosedwell September 2, 2011 at 12:57 am

VisElEchNon September 2, 2011 at 2:38 am

I hate the costume… sorry, I just hate it.
Yes, reboot, I get it. Don’t care.
This is not Gotham City and Batman where you can make it grittier and it’ll work. That was only acceptable because it WAS Gotham City and Batman, they’re supposed to be dark and moody. This is Superman, Metropolis can be portrayed as a bit darker maybe but not Earth’s Greatest Protector(tm).
If this is some alternate costume (and it may be, based on the Earth 2 “S” shield on his chest) then maybe it’ll be okay to start with. He should have the traditional costume though, red “underwear” (they’re actually shorts, but okay :) ) and all.

Lilyvane September 23, 2011 at 4:20 pm

..he wears briefs….no way they are shorts…

VisElEchNon October 23, 2011 at 11:59 am

LOL. Okay, I’m gonna go sew belt loops into all my briefs then. They’re VERY short shorts, but they’re shorts.

Donald Flaherty September 2, 2011 at 5:28 am

The Suit is growing on me. Hope they don’t mess this one up

Anon September 2, 2011 at 10:27 am

The red panties are a bother–but not so much as the fact that the suit looks like it needs a good washing. I agree with someone up there who said the yellow looks dull–it looks dirty.

Chase September 3, 2011 at 3:40 am

If they add a belt that matches the cape color to break all the blue then I think that would be good. No more trunks its 2011 (2012).

Christopher October 25, 2011 at 6:37 pm

THEN IT’S NOT SUPERMAN, IT’S STUPID! I’ll never understand how people can watch crap like WWE all the time with dude feeling on each other in trunks & think it’s cool but Superman flies around saving people in trunks it’s lame.

Jason Rockwood September 3, 2011 at 7:01 pm

“Design embellishments on the wrists, sides and waist show that maybe the costume was created in Krypton and packaged in the rocket ship to Earth as opposed to being something that Ma Kent came up with on her own at the local Jo Ann Fabrics in Smallville”
Anything that Superman wears becomes impenetrable. So even if MaKent made it, it would last. His “aura” surrounds the suit when worn.

Kryptoniteking September 20, 2011 at 3:53 pm

You are correct. His body produced a “force field” of sorts. Anything that was close to his body (like skin tight clothing) would be protected by it.

This costume would be as bad if it weren’t so drab in color.

Kryptoniteking September 20, 2011 at 3:53 pm

This costume would be as bad if it weren’t so drab in color.

Paul in Minneapolis September 28, 2011 at 11:14 am

Superman’s costume was made from the threads of the blankets he came to Earth in as a baby. Blue, red, and yellow. Martha Kent could unravel the blankets but not cut the threads. They were invulnerable already. Little Clark had to bite through them because Martha’s scissors kept breaking.

VisElEchNon October 23, 2011 at 4:16 pm

There are a few “origin stories” on his costume. Those are two of them, and I believe they’re the two most popular.

Mike September 4, 2011 at 4:40 am

From what I understand, this has more to do with the copyright reverting back to the heirs of the creators. WB will potentially be losing key aspects of the character, among them the design of the costume; also hinted at in the comics.

bubba September 4, 2011 at 10:40 am

that costume sucks it doesnt even look like a superman costume the design of it is more like a spiderman costume

Marisapphire September 7, 2011 at 2:56 am

Hate hate hate it. This is not the Superman we know and love. Do they forget that the fans are the ones that will make or break this movie. Come on people! The suit sucks.

Aggi September 7, 2011 at 5:36 pm

I actually like that suit, Even if its not 100% like the comics well that is for a good reason its not a comic its a movie. I try to keep open minded maybe this movie will be better then the last one.

Reiniere N Phaniya Maghirang September 8, 2011 at 10:21 pm

u need to check up your eye big time LoL! wat they need to do is match it close on the actual comics of DC alright, understand dummy! (-_-)

Aggi September 7, 2011 at 5:36 pm

fro0tlo0p September 10, 2011 at 3:08 am

This costume is the whole reason why you could not pay me to see this movie.

John K Cook September 14, 2011 at 11:13 pm

That is the worst shit ever! OMG!!!

I knew they would kill Superman after all these years.

That outfit actually makes me sick to my stomach.

Radsmeshhy September 17, 2011 at 1:30 pm

I am not such a huge fan of superman but seriously this outfit is disappointing. I mean for decades superman was known as “THAT strong guy who wears his RED underwear over his pants’. I mean “red underwear” is a trademark of superman as much as the “S” sign. With this costume, half of the charm of superman is gone. :(

Radsmeshhy September 17, 2011 at 1:30 pm

Glenn Elfer September 18, 2011 at 8:17 pm

The suit is awful. 70 years of drawings and renditions and they came up with that? Superman is now a Chippendale dancer!  I don’t care how good the cast, story or cinematography is. I’m not paying to see the wrong suit and a crotch in my face.

It’s pretty obvious who they’re marketing this movie towards. I won’t purchase the bootleg either.

Vicky September 24, 2011 at 3:56 am

I don’t like it :( I’m not going to insult the costume ike some sort of flamer or hater — because I’m not. I’m just saying that this really, really looks unflattering on Superman. They’re basing the costume too much on Batman. Superman is a SYMBOL OF HOPE AND HEROISM. The drab colours, tight (VERY tight) cloth, and unnecessary embellishment make me think the makers wanted Superman to look “sexy” and “realistic” which shouldn’t happen at all.

What I don’t like the most about this costume is the colours. Superman wears primary colours for a reason, you know. You’re suppose to see his bright red and blue colours in the sky and KNOW that’s Superman. That he’s going to save you. What made the fans love him is not his super-hulk muscles, or handsome looks it was his honest face and unbending morals that said “I want to help you.”

(aand I totally ranted. I’m sorry. But if they keep this suit, I don’t think I can watch the movie)

Fanari September 24, 2011 at 11:15 pm

This isn’t Superman.. Or maybe the suit will be covered by some CG when the shooting is done?!!
I was really hoping for a better Superman.. The last one was more like a Superboy..

I wish the producers would buy a couple of Alex Ross books and see the real Superman in his timeless glory.

Disappointed_SuperFan September 25, 2011 at 2:59 pm

I HATE this suit! I’m a female age 18 and I’ve always loved Superman since my dad introduced me to the comics. This just doesn’t say or feel Superman to me. We get it…apparently Superman has to have a big package…whatever I dont particularily care about that. Fine, since it’s 2011(2012) we can ditch the red undies even though that just adds to the appeal! But like someone stated above it looks like it’s a wannabe spiderman suit! Also as someone stated the bright primary colors is what let everyone know Superman was coming to save the day! All we really get with this costume is a dark navy blue blah! I’m just not a fan and I definitely don’t see this version of the Superman suit ever growing on me. It’s just not Superman dang it!

Abc September 27, 2011 at 11:34 am

lighter blue and a red belt plz

Ronald October 4, 2011 at 9:11 pm

Hate the costume.  Christopher Reeve is the real Man of Steel.  Why couldn’t they just make Cavill wear the classic costume?  He’s well built enough to pull it off.  This muscle suit just blows.

nevilleross August 8, 2012 at 3:21 pm

There’s nothing wrong with the costume, it’s quite a welcome evolution of the costume, and the Superman concept. Expand your horizons.

Ronald October 4, 2011 at 9:11 pm

Nicholas Cobraetti October 17, 2011 at 8:49 pm

Ignorant writer.

Christopher October 25, 2011 at 6:34 pm

Nothing will ever make this crap look good, The red trunks broke up up all the blue now he looks like he’s running a round in a Power Ranger suit in the comics just add helmet with gloves & in long jons in the new movie.

Jthibodeau28 October 26, 2011 at 8:21 am

all of you comic books nerds are so annoying. The costume looks fine.  Reeve’s costume looked fine for the times.  Singer’s costume looked fine and now this one does do.  Seriously guys, please do something with your lives besides devoting time to the color of a buff man’s underwear and the outline of his bulging crotch….I’m not saying anythings wrong with that if that is your thing(sorry for the Seinfeld reference).  But really that is what you are doing, arguing about a bulging crotch and what color underwear it will wear.

Matt October 28, 2011 at 2:23 am

Mmm…..I love how that costume hugs his body.

Auntie's T-Shirts November 20, 2011 at 11:37 pm

This out fit does suck.  Come on the puffy Zipper in the back.  The jock protector front.  The whole out fit makes him look short and stocky.  This out fit wood be more for something in futuristic times, but not the present.  And the trashy grunge look isn’t going over to well.  This out fit is for those people who are into grunge look.  Looks like he got beat up already.

Jbozobo January 23, 2012 at 9:58 pm

Agree, lose the zipper, as if Superman doesn’t have access to nano-materials that seal seamlessly, or hell maybe just maybe he’s heard of velcro?

Curtis232323 November 23, 2011 at 12:23 am

Honestly…looks hilarously STUPID!

Jek6 November 23, 2011 at 10:34 pm

I agree, this looks pretty awful. Why are film makers always so afraid of color on superheroes? It looks more like an Aquaman suit. just make it orange and green. And his hair looks really bad in that first pic, with the part and the comb-over. It looks like a nerd graduation photo from the early ’60s. That comic picture on the right aint bad. I understand a little revamping to keep in modern, but Superman is the original super hero (and the reason “super hero” is even a term.) You can’t mess with his outfit as much as you can with other heroes. He better have red boots, at least.

Ferdinand November 29, 2011 at 2:19 am

I hate it! Why do they have to change the norm? What’s wrong with the red bikini?

SuperFan November 29, 2011 at 2:40 am

Yup, this costume sucks bigtime. It looks uber-gay.
I actually liked the previous one (even though it had the red briefs). But Im happy that finally they found someone with some muscles. I hated the sissy boy in Superman Returns.
And I hope they will make this superman smarter than the previous ones..they’ve all been all brawn and no brain till now. I don’t care if that departs from the comics, but please don’t make him so gullible to his nemesis.

Bolts December 3, 2011 at 9:38 am

The suit is gay as hell. Wtf is up with that giant cod piece?? And I thought the nipples in Batman Forevef was bad. This takes he cake!

Sydney December 5, 2011 at 7:19 am

I like it. It’s cool. The old suit was so dorky. Come on…it was!!! I can’t believe some of you guys aren’t going to see the movie cos you don’t like the costume. Grow up!  Who cares about the suit! As long as the script is good and the acting is good- with Henry Cavill playing Superman how could it not be. Can hardly wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SNAlien December 10, 2011 at 7:29 pm

I don’t know.. It looks too tight for comfort, and that makes you think that it’s tight for other reasons (hmm, what could that be?). One of the most noticably traits is his wiener. I really hope they’re not trying to make a sexed up, modern superman. We don’t need that.

Brandon Routh might not have been as “steely” as this, but his other qualities was all Superman to me. He’s supposed to be not only superhuman in strength, but also in goodness. He’s supposed to be the mommy’s boy who no one can mess with (with exceptions).

The suit should be brighter too, but I do support the removal of the panties. I’ve always had an issue with pants on the outside.

Despite all this, I’m actually very excited for the movie.

nevilleross August 8, 2012 at 1:52 pm
eknirb January 7, 2012 at 11:37 pm

awful.  doesn’t even like like Supey.  looks like an Alien exoskeleton.  Pass.

Anonymous January 17, 2012 at 7:18 pm

Well, he IS an alien.

Anonymous January 17, 2012 at 7:22 pm

I love the new costume. FINALLY something different than that flag waving color scheme of nostalgia. I think people forget that he is from another world so the costume represents that idea. No more red diapers.

Neville Ross August 29, 2012 at 11:24 pm

That’s the spirit!

Jbozobo January 23, 2012 at 9:56 pm

Uhhh, expect him to rip it off and start dancing any second….

Bob February 11, 2012 at 6:41 pm

A tarnished ‘S’. . ?

If they can’t get something as basic as the suit right, then how much worse for the script?

Benitozaybe May 19, 2012 at 8:27 am

No one can ever replace Christopher Reeve

nevilleross August 8, 2012 at 3:20 pm

Strange, people used to say the same thing about George Reeves way back when, and look where we are today….

fuck all the haters August 29, 2012 at 9:29 pm

you’re all absolute morons. i didn’t really believe it when my old teachers used to say “90-95% percent of the world is simply idiots.” you all just proved him right!

why in the freakin world would underwear or bright colors make a superhero? are they not allowed to have costume redesigns? i think you’re all forgetting how nolan’s batman has a redesigned suit… and you all loved that. so why all the hate?

i think this costume is badass. this movie is supposed to show “the darker, more gritty” man of steel. it’s apparently supposed to show us clark kent after the fame and glory days. so shut up. if you don’t like it, get the hell out and let me watch my movie in peace. granted, if the movie sucks… it sucks and we’ll forget about it.

Neville Ross August 29, 2012 at 10:15 pm

THIS.

I too am getting tired of all of this bullshit from these haters and whiners, and wish that they would shut the frack up and see the movie, or NOT see it if they’re going to be so nitpicky about Superman’s costume. The suit was changed in the new Superman/Action Comics books, so I don’t know why they’re all bitching like crazy-it was approved and created by DC Comics itself!

It was time to change the costume anyway (personally, I would’ve preferred the unitard and a red jacket similar to what Connor Kent/Kon-El wore in past comic books, but I guess that cape’s too much a part of nature to be given up) and I will welcome this new movie when it comes out next year.

article December 4, 2014 at 1:41 pm

I simply want to tell you that I’m all new to weblog and really liked you’re web site. Likely I’m going to bookmark your site . You certainly come with beneficial posts. Appreciate it for revealing your blog.

you can try this out December 4, 2014 at 5:36 pm

I just want to mention I am all new to blogging and really savored you’re web blog. Most likely I’m want to bookmark your blog post . You definitely come with terrific well written articles. Kudos for revealing your web page.

Comments on this entry are closed.