JIBJAB.com, the political jokesters who rocked the nation with their 2004 election spoof, is holding a nationwide short film competition known as “The Great Sketch Experiment.” Six shorts have been chosen to work with director John Landis. The winner gets a $10,000 and a development deal with Jibjab. Each comedic short spoofs our beloved criminal justice system.
- Elephant Larry – a New York City based sketch comedy group notorious for winning the Sketch Fights Competition at “Carolines” on Broadway.
- Train of Thought – a sketch comedy troupe based in Seattle, Washington.
- Famous Last Nerds – the duo, based in Los Angeles, recently completed staff writing 10 episodes of Robot Chicken on Cartoon Network’s Adult Swim. They are currently working on a contemporary version of cartoon classic “Underdog”.
- Riegel & Blatt – comedy writers based in Los Angeles, won the 2004 Austin Film Festivals Teleplay Competition for their Curb Your Enthusiasm spec script.
- Mark & Ari – the duo, based in New York, have been performing improv, sketch and standup since 1997.
- Karla – the Los Angeles based duo has spent five years traveling the world of sketch anywhere from the Chicago Sketch Festival to the ImprovAcadia in Bar Harbor Maine.
Personal favorites go to “Small World” by Mark & Ari, “Tall Cop Short Cop” by Elephant Larry, and “Tom and Tina” by Train of Thought; “Small World” and “Tom and Tina” edge out for the tie. You can watch the sketch shorts now at Jibjab.com and vote for your favorite team. Don’t forget to let me know which sketch pieces you love and which you hate.